I saw this painting the other day by artist Mark Tennant, this visual image really excites me and makes me want to paint –
When I see something like this, I want to take a little bit of the magic and infuse it into my own painting, not copying, just harnessing some of the excitement for myself.
- The color it’s held to a bare minimum which makes all the wonderful texture really sing.
- The Texture it’s not the kind of texture you’d expect to see, like the shine of glass or the reflection of a metal object, but broken paint areas within the skin tones and dress.
- Interpretation I try to imagine what the original subject looked like, and observe how Mark took it into his own fabulous world.
- The Shapes, the large textural shapes of the background are infused with the same muted tones as the girl, making everything come together in a wonderfully cohesive vision. Mark is given us so much entertainment in his varied shapes and staccato textures that you don’t miss not knowing what the objects are. Only a piece of white cloth in the upper left-hand corner is recognizable, but even that is used as a design element, pointing downwards towards the girls face.
- Subject The super relaxed pose of the girl with her hair trailing downward echoes the loose paint handling which creates a wonderful unity of the pieces to the whole.
My challenge to you today… find an artist’s painting that inspires you to paint, how did that artist handle paint and use design to excite you, and take away a little of the magic for yourself.
Visit Mark Tennant’s website to view more of his fabulous work.